Profile of Emakhabeleni
It is located in Kranskop, under Umvoti Municipality, in KwaZulu-Natal.
The name - Emakhabeleni - comes from the clan that has the chieftaincy of the area. The chieftaincy is with the Dlomo clan and its Zulu clan name is 'Mkhabela'. Therefore, the traditional way to address the local residents of the area is 'Amakhabela', but the area is called eMakhabeleni, which literally means 'the place where Amakhabela people live'.
The place is known for its proximity to major landmarks such as the Tugela River which winds its way through eMakhabeleni.
The area is quite hilly, but its hills are laid out in quite an artistic way, in that they form a majestic pattern which undulates in a harmonious fashion and then plateaus in places as if to say -- 'Enjoy the View'!!
Being a deep rural area, it has a sprinkling of medical, educational and tribal facilities but these are nowhere near satisfactory. The infrastructure development is at its crude infancy, with the basic facilities still being something of the future -- roads are still gravel, water fetched manually from an average of eight (8) kilometres from households, electricity is still at government facilities. However, there are promising signs of development, eg water pipes have been laid out but not yet working, some households near government schools have electricity and the Amakhabela Tribal Authority has decent offices.
WHY THE EMAKHABELENI INFORMATION WAREHOUSE?
- The Emakhabeleni area has a rich history which needs to be preserved and passed on from one generation to another.
- Furthermore, the community is spread across the whole country and, in some cases, across the world. They would like to know what is happening in their area.
HOW CAN YOU PARTICIPATE?
We would like to invite you to send us information, comments and advices to improve the quality and quantity of information on Emakhabeleni. Such information can include upcoming events, past incidents of historical importance, even anecdotes of interest so that we can capture them for record purposes.
You can send the info or make enquiries at: firstname.lastname@example.org
When providing information, please comply with the following:
* Your full name & surname.
* Contact Details (cellphone, email address, postal address).
* Details of the information you would like to see reflected on the site ie Historical, Current or Future.
* For quality purposes, we reserve the right to edit the information without changing the actual content of your submission.